About the Library

Indigenous Land Acknowledgement

The Lawrence Public Library occupies land that was originally inhabited by the Pennacook people. They were among the earliest indigenous tribes to come into contact with the invading English. One of the most well-known Pennacook today is the Sachem (Chief) Passaconnoway (Child of the Bear) who negotiated a treaty with the settlers as early as the 1620s. The Pennacook maintained a large confederacy in the Merrimack Valley until they were forced out by disease and conflict brought on by European colonization. An Algonquian speaking people, the folklore they passed on across distance and time marks the beginning of community information sharing in what is now Lawrence, Massachusetts. We encourage you to learn more about the contributions Indigenous people have made and continue to make to libraries by visiting: ailanet.org

Our Mission

 The freedom to pursue knowledge is a foundation of our democracy. The Lawrence Free Public Library, an essential public institution, strives to serve as an accessible and responsive information and literary center for all residents of the Lawrence community. Through its evolving collection of materials and an abiding concern for its customers, the Library exists to preserve the free development and expression of ideas essential for an informed citizenry.

 History of the Library

The Franklin Library Association was formed on March 31, 1847 with Capt. Charles H. Bigelow, the engineer, under whom the Great Stone Dam was built, functioning as the library’s first president. Other original members were Caleb M. Marvel, and Charles S. Storrow. Abbott Lawrence (who gave Lawrence its name) donated $1000 to purchase books that would tend to create mechanics, good Christians and good patriots.” An additional $5000 came to the association when Mr. Lawrence died in 1855.

For many years the Franklin Library Association was the solitary literary presence in Lawrence. The Lawrence Athenaeum would host a course of lectures for two seasons and the Lawrence Lyceum continued for another two or three years. Both societies would merge into the Franklin Library Association, which would present a series of twelve lectures a year for many years. The Association was a subscription library much like the Boston Athenaeum and like Boston it catered to the original Yankee citizenry.

In 1852, the Honorable Daniel A. White of Salem, Massachusetts set up the White Fund, the money to be used for the purchase of books and other library materials. July 6, 1872 the association turned over its library and funds to the City of Lawrence. With the aid of the White Fund the Free Public Library was born. Trustees of the White Fund proposed to contribute $1,000 annually to the Library for the purchase of books and other needed materials. The Library contained 11,624 volumes at the time.

The library was housed in the Saunders Block at 240 Essex Street. With the establishment of the Free Public Library, the collection and materials became available to all residents of Lawrence. Registration grew quickly as more working-class people made use of the library's ever-expanding materials. Due to its success, the Lawrence Free Library moved to rooms in the Odd Fellows Hall on the southwest corner of Essex and Lawrence Streets. The Library’s first original building was located on the southwest corner of Hampshire and Haverhill streets at a cost of $50,000. It was opened to the public in 1892. George G. Adams, a local architect, designed the building in the Romance Revival style. The first floor of the building was used for reading and general delivery, and the second floor contained a 250-person capacity auditorium that was used for lectures, meetings and forums. The first Librarian was William A. Fletcher, who was then followed by Frederic K. Hedge, who held that position for 27 years. In 1902 the new library was enlarged at a cost of $37,300.86 after much pleading from the director for a children’s room. By 1923, the Library contained approximately 84,000 volumes, a notable reference department, and very modern facilities. The White Fund held title to the Main Library until 1937 when the Trustees turned ownership over to the City. When that building was sold in 1974, the proceeds of the sale were used to establish an endowment for the Public Library as had been specified by the Trustees of the White Fund in 1937. The building was enlarged again in 1938. The White Fund generously provided the money for the construction and expansion.

The South Lawrence branch was opened in a store near the railroad station, at 160 South Broadway, on August 1, 1898. An original building was constructed for use as a branch library and to replace the rented space on Broadway. The new library was opened for business October 10, 1927. It was and still is located at 135 Parker Street.

History of Library Directors

The directors of the library have been: William I. Fletcher 1872-1874, Frederic K. Hedge 1874-1901, William A. Walsh 1901-1938 Richard L. Sullivan 1938-1956, John A. Griffin 1957-1975, James Kennedy 1975-1982, Barbara DeYoung 1982-1984, Joseph R. Dionne 1984-1999, David Hildt, acting director 2000, acting director, Sharon Doyle 2001-2, Javier Corredor 2002-2004, Maureen Nimmo 2004-2016, Kemal Bozkurt acting director 2016, and Jessica Vilas Novas 2016-present..

The Library Now

In 1965, a proposal for a new library facility got underway. The idea was that the new facility be a complete center of learning and information to the patrons and residents of Lawrence. Facilities such as Exhibit Rooms, a Business Section, Audio-Visual Services, and special accommodations for advanced students and adults were all included in the planning of the new building. The projected space needs for the new facility were based on the assumption that 250,000 volumes would have to be accommodated by 1985. Spaciousness, plenty of reading and browsing room, as well as easy access to all library materials were major concerns in the design and architecture of the proposed facility.

The new library was built on the northeast corner of Haverhill and Lawrence streets across from the Campagnone Common. The three-story, two and one half million dollar building, was dedicated June 10, 1973. The new building was 55,238 square feet in area, and the entire project cost $2,421,169. There was a total seating capacity (for readers and staff) of 760, plus the Irving W Sargent Auditorium, which has seats for 270 more persons.

Both the main and branch libraries still exist and are in use as libraries. The former library building became the Old Library Professional Building and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

The White Fund, created by Judge Daniel Appleton White, still provides a course of lectures annually and aids other educational enterprises. The fund also provided the land for the first library building.

The library has progressed with the times since the opening of the current facility. Our third floor, which houses the administrative offices of the library, had been used as rental space. The space had been occupied by Northern Essex Community College and by the Americorps / Youthbuild program. Renovation projects in 1999, 2000 and 2005/6 resulted in a modified plaza-style entry area with a semicircular driveway, a new parking area on the corner of Haverhill and Lawrence Streets, complete re-carpeting of the entire facility, a new meeting room dedicated to the poet Robert Frost and the addition of a local history room. The Library has continued in its core mission of collecting a variety of materials considered most enjoyable and beneficial to our community. We have also greatly expanded the formats available in our collection. The collection now includes computer software, videos, as well as an extensive collection of microform materials for historical and genealogical research. The Library houses a computer lab in its main facility adult services, as well as in the children’s department the teen services department and in the South Branch Library.

Online Services

As a member of the Merrimack Valley Library Consortium (MVLC) the Lawrence Public Library is able to offer quality online databases to its patrons as well as take part in the interlibrary loan program run through the entire state. The Library has made educational purchasing a high priority particularly in the area of free, library card accessible online services, available for both home and library use.


The Library is under the governance of its Board of Trustees. This board consists of the Mayor as ex-officio Chair, the three trustees of the White Fund (as ex-officio members) and five community members elected appointed by the Mayor.


The Library's annual budget is made up by the Library administration and the city’s Budget and Finance Director. It is then adopted by a majority vote of the city council. The municipal appropriation accounts for the majority of the Library’s operating budget. The remaining funds are received via the Mass Board of Library Association State Aid grant program, as well as other grants and contributions. 

Reconocimiento de tierras indígenas

La Biblioteca Pública de Lawrence ocupa tierras que originalmente fueron habitadas por la gente de Pennacook. Se encontraban entre las primeras tribus indígenas en entrar en contacto con los invasores ingleses. Uno de los más conocidos Pennacook hoy en día es el Sachem (Jefe) Passconnoway (Niño del Oso) que negoció un tratado con los colonos tan temprano como en la década de 1620. Los Pennacook mantuvieron una gran confederación en el valle de Merrimack hasta que fueron expulsados por enfermedades y conflictos provocados por la colonización europea. Un pueblo de habla algonquina, el folklore que transmitieron a través de la distancia y el tiempo marca el comienzo del intercambio de información comunitaria en lo que ahora es Lawrence, Massachusetts. Lo exhortamos a conocer más sobre las contribuciones de la gente indígena que han hecho y continúan haciendo para las bibliotecas visitando: ailanet.org

Nuestra misión

La libertad de perseguir el conocimiento es la base de nuestra democracia. La Biblioteca Pública de Lawrence, una institución pública esencial, se esfuerza por servir como un centro literario e informativo accesible y receptivo para todos los residentes de la comunidad de Lawrence. A través de su colección de materiales en evolución y una preocupación constante por sus clientes, la biblioteca existe para preservar el libre desarrollo y expresión de ideas esenciales para una ciudadanía informada.

 Nuestra historia

La Asociación de Bibliotecas de Franklin se formó el 31 de marzo de 1847 con el Capitán Charles H. Bigelow, el ingeniero, bajo el cual se construyó el Great Stone Dam, funcionando como el primer presidente de la biblioteca. Otros miembros originales fueron Caleb M. Marvel y Charles S. Storrow. Abbott Lawrence (quien le dio su nombre a Lawrence) donó $ 1000 para comprar libros "con la intención de crear mecánicos, buenos cristianos y buenos patriotas". Otros $ 5000 adicionales llegaron a la asociación cuando Lawrence murió en 1855.

Durante muchos años, la Asociación de Biblioteca de Franklin fue la presencia literaria solitaria en Lawrence. El Ateneo de Lawrence organizaría un curso de conferencias durante dos temporadas y el Liceo de Lawrence continuaría durante otros dos o tres años. Ambas sociedades se unirían dentro de la Asociación de Biblioteca de Franklin el cual presentaría una serie de doce conferencias al año durante muchos años. La Asociación era una biblioteca de subscripción muy parecida al Ateneo de Boston. Y al igual que Boston, atendía a la ciudadanía original yanquista.

En 1852, el Honorable Daniel A. White de Salem, Massachusetts, estableció el White Fund, el dinero se utilizaría para la compra de libros y otros materiales de biblioteca. El 6 de julio de 1872, la asociación entregó su biblioteca y fondos a la ciudad de Lawrence. Con la ayuda de White Fund nació la Biblioteca Pública Gratuita. Los miembros del White Fund propusieron contribuir con $ 1,000 anuales a la biblioteca para la compra de libros y otros materiales necesarios. La biblioteca contenía 11,624 volúmenes en ese momento.

La biblioteca se encontraba en el bloque Saunders en la 240 Essex Street. Con el establecimiento de la Biblioteca Pública Gratuita, la colección y los materiales estuvieron disponibles para todos los residentes de Lawrence. La registración creció rápidamente a medida que más y más personas de la clase trabajadora hicieron uso de la constante expansión de los materiales de la biblioteca. Debido a su éxito, la Biblioteca Gratuita de Lawrence se mudó a las habitaciones del Odd Fellows Hall en la esquina suroeste de las calles Essex y Lawrence. El primer edificio original de la biblioteca se ubicó en la esquina suroeste de las calles Hampshire y Haverhill a un costo de $ 50,000. Fue abierto al público en 1892. George G. Adams, un arquitecto local, diseñó el edificio en el estilo Romance Revival. El primer piso del edificio se utilizaba para leer y para la entrega general, y el segundo piso contenía un auditorio con capacidad para 250 personas que se utilizaba para conferencias, reuniones y foros. El primer bibliotecario fue William A. Fletcher, seguido por Frederic K. Hedge, quien ocupó ese cargo durante 27 años. En 1902, la nueva biblioteca se amplió a un costo de $ 37,300.86 después de que el director le suplicara por un Departamento de Niños. Para 1923, la biblioteca contenía aproximadamente 84,000 volúmenes, un notable Departamento de Referencia e instalaciones muy modernas. El White Fund mantuvo el título de la Biblioteca Principal hasta 1937 cuando los miembros entregaron la propiedad a la ciudad. Cuando ese edificio se vendió en 1974, las ganancias de la venta se utilizaron para establecer una fundación para la Biblioteca Pública, según lo especificado por los miembros del White Fund en 1937. El edificio se amplió nuevamente en 1938. El White Fund proporcionó generosamente el dinero para la construcción y expansión.

La Sucursal del Sur de Lawrence se abrió en una tienda cerca de la estación de ferrocarril, en la 160 South Broadway, el 1 de agosto de 1898. El edificio original se construyó para uso como sucursal de la biblioteca y para reemplazar el espacio alquilado en Broadway. La nueva biblio-teca se abrió al público el 10 de octubre de 1927. Estaba y todavía está ubicada en la 135 Parker Street.

En 1965, se puso en marcha una propuesta para una nueva biblioteca. La idea era que las nuevas instalaciones fueran un centro de aprendizaje completo e información para los visitantes y residentes de Lawrence. Instalaciones tales como salas de exhibición, una sección de negocios, servicios audiovisuales y acomodaciones especiales para estudiantes avanzados y adultos se incluyeron en la planificación del nuevo edificio. El espacio proyectado para la necesidad de las nuevas instalaciones fueron basadas en la suposición de que 250,000 volúmenes tendrían que ser acomodados para 1985. La amplitud, la gran cantidad de salas de lectura y navegación, así como el fácil acceso a todos los materiales de la biblioteca fueron las principales preocupaciones en el diseño y la arquitectura de la propuesta de la instalación.

La nueva biblioteca se construyó en la esquina noreste de las calles Haverhill y Lawrence, frente al Campagnone Common. El edificio de tres pisos, de dos millones y medio de dólares, se dedicó el 10 de junio de 1973. El nuevo edificio tenía 55,238 pies cuadrados en área y el proyecto completo costó $ 2,421,169. Había una capacidad total de asientos (para lectores y personal) de 760, más el Auditorio Irving W Sargent, que tiene asientos para 270 personas más.

Las dos bibliotecas, la principal y la sucursal, todavía existen y están en uso como bibliotecas. El antiguo edificio de la biblioteca se convirtió en el Old Library Professional Building y está en el Registro Nacional de Lugares Históricos.

El White Fund, creado por el juez Daniel Appleton White, todavía ofrece un curso de conferencias anualmente y ayuda a otras empresas educativas. La fundación también proporcionó el terreno para el primer edificio de la biblioteca.

Los directores de la biblioteca fueron William I. Fletcher 1872-1874, Frederic K. Hedge 1874-1901, William A. Walsh 1901-1938 Richard L. Sullivan 1938-1956, John A. Griffin 1957-1975, James Kennedy 1975-1982, Barbara DeYoung 1982-1984, Joseph R. Dionne 1984-1999, David Hildt, Director Interino 2000, Director Interino, Sharon Doyle 2001-2, Javier Corredor 2002-2004, Maureen Nimmo 2004-2016, Kemal Bozkurt Director Interino 2016, y Jessica Vilas Novas 2016-al presente.

La biblioteca ha progresado con el tiempo desde la apertura de la instalación actual. Nuestro tercer piso, que alberga las oficinas administrativas de la biblioteca, se han utilizado, hasta hace poco, como espacio de alquiler. El espacio ha sido utilizado por Northern Essex Community College y por el programa Americorps / Youthbuild. Los proyectos de renovación en 1999, 2000 y 2005/6 han dado como resultado un área de entrada de estilo plaza modificada con un camino de entrada semi-circular, una nueva área de estacionamiento en la esquina de las calles Haverhill y Lawrence, un nuevo alfombrado de toda la instalación, una nueva sala de reunión dedicada al poeta Robert Frost y la adición de una sala de historia local. Estas dos adiciones posteriores se encuentran en el área del tercer piso mencionado anteriormente. La biblioteca ha continuado en su misión principal de recopilar una variedad de materiales considerados más agradables y beneficiosos para nuestra comunidad. También hemos ampliado enormemente los formatos disponibles en nuestra colección. La colección ahora incluye programas de computadora, videos, así como una extensa colección de materiales de microformas para investigación histórica y genealógica. La biblioteca alberga el área de computadoras en sus instalaciones principales de servicios para adultos, así como el Departamento de Niños, el Departamento de Servicios para Adolescentes y la Biblioteca de la Sucursal del Sur.

Servicios en línea

Como miembro del Consorcio de Bibliotecas de Merrimack Valley, la Biblioteca Pública de Lawrence puede ofrecer bases de datos en línea de calidad para sus usuarios, así como participar en el programa de préstamo interbibliotecario que recorre todo el estado. La administración actual de la biblioteca ha hecho compras educacionales una de gran prioridad particularmente en el área de servicios en línea gratuitos con la tarjeta de la biblioteca, disponibles tanto para uso en el hogar como para la biblioteca.


La Biblioteca está bajo la administración y el control de su Consejo de Síndicos. Esta junta está compuesta por el Alcalde, tres miembros del Fideicomiso del White Fund y cinco ciudadanos elegidos por el Concilio de la Ciudad.


El presupuesto anual de la Biblioteca está compuesto por la administración de la biblioteca y el Director de Presupuesto y Finanzas de la ciudad. Luego es aprobada por mayoría de votos de parte del Concilio.